Mental health issues can happen to anyone at any time. 1 in 4 of us will experience mental health problems at some point in our lives. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. Recognising that you may have a mental health problem and taking the first steps to get help can be difficult.

For help and advice for you or someone you know, there are two options to choose from:

  1. Contact your doctor

Rethink, the national mental health charity has advice on speaking to your doctor and how to prepare so you get the most out of your appointment.

  1. Contact your doctor and book an appointment.

  2. Refer yourself for support

There are a number of services available to you that can help you or a loved one’s when feeling stressed, anxious, depressed or just need someone to talk to.   You can get in touch with any of the services for people aged 18 years and older, who will offer support and advice:

  1. 'Improving Access to Psychological Therapies' (IAPT) can help you if you are experiencing anxiety, panic attacks, pre and postnatal depression or post-traumatic stress disorder. You can see a list of the organisations that provide online, telephone, face to face and group services in North West Surrey.
  2. Community Connections Surrey – The services here can be used by anyone interested in receiving support for emotional wellbeing. Included is one-to-one support, as well as group support for things like depression, eating disorders, and bi-polar disorder.
  3. The Samaritans offer a free, safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.
  4. The  pdf Safe Haven (999 KB) in Woking provides drop in mental health support to people over 18 years, who may be experiencing or approaching crisis. The informal and friendly venue offers a safe and comfortable space to find help and is open to carers as well. You will receive help and support from trained staff, including qualified mental health professionals and can help you access other services. The Children & Young People Safe Haven in Guildford provides emotional well-being support for people aged between 10 and 18 years.
  5. The Crisis Helpline (0300 456 8342) can be used in times of distress. It operates between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and 24 hours a day at the weekend and Bank Holidays.

3. Other services

Following your appointment with your GP, you may be referred to specialised services including:

  1. Community Mental Health Recovery Services (CMHRS) 
  2. CMHRSs are teams of mental health professionals from Surrey & Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Surrey County Council. They offer day-to-day support for adults aged 18 to 64 with mental ill-health.
  3. Community Mental Health Teams for Older People (CMHTOP)

CMHTOPs are teams of mental health professionals from Surrey & Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Surrey County Council. They offer support to people over the age of 65 with mental illness, cognitive function deterioration, or dementia. 

  1. Will I have to pay?

Most mental health services are provided free at the point of need by the NHS. However, social care support, and what you pay towards it, is determined by what your needs are, how much money you have, and what level and type of care and support you require.

Surrey County Council’s website contains an online checklist which can help you get an indication of whether you are likely to qualify for social care support. As well as providing you with information on the support you could access locally, the checklist will also tell you if it might be worth spending time to do a full support needs assessment.

For more general money advice, Mental Health & Money Advice gives you practical advice to help you understand, manage and improve your mental health and money issues.

5. Support through a mental health crisis – and preventing suicide

If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, or is at risk of committing suicide, it’s important to get help quickly.

Where to get help

  • Go to a Safe Haven – an out-of-hours alternative to A&E when in crisis
  • Phone the Surrey and Borders Mental Health Crisis Helpline – call 0300 456 8342 (SMS for deaf and hard of hearing: 07717 989 024, SMS text relay: 18001 0300 456 8342)
  • Call one of the national mental health charities for advice and support:
    • Samaritans provide a helpline that is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week – call 116 123 or email
    • Sane Helpline is a national out-of-hours telephone helpline offering emotional support and information for people affected by mental health problems. The Helpline operates 6pm to 11pm every day – call 0845 767 8000
    • Mind, a national mental health charity, operate a helpline from 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, that can be used in a crisis – call 0300 123 3393 or text 86463
  • Make an emergency doctor’s appointment
  • Visit Accident and Emergency. People with suicidal tendencies can visit their local A&E department and ask to see the duty psychiatrist
  • If you are already under the care of Community Mental Health Recovery Service (CMHRS) or Community Mental Health Team for Older People (CMHT), you can phone them to discuss your concerns during office hours

    Christmas and New Year opening hours for Mental Health Services can be found by clicking here.
  1. Support for everyday life

Taking care of yourself makes good sense, leading to improved health and a better quality of life. Surrey County Council provides information through their website “Surrey Information Point” on a range of services and support: 

Crisis and emergency services

Relationship and families


Advocacy and medication

Additional and substance misuse

Pregnancy and parenting

Housing and homelessness


Older people



Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning (LGBTQ)


Therapy providers

Community connections, support and recovery